Wednesday, October 9, 2013

the wedding cake

I'll start my wedding posts with the cake, just to get it out of the way. Most people think I'm nuts, but I just don't care about cake. It's sometimes kinda tasty, but I've never met a cake I couldn't pass on. I just don't care about it. And Joe, my groom, cares about it even less. Personally, I would have preferred a 6 tiered pizza. But that's pretty strange, I know.

Since people care about cake, we didn't want to totally skimp on it. However, it was one item we just didn't want to spend a bunch of money on. I went to the bridal show at the West Side Irish American Club in Olmsted Township, Ohio (which is where the reception would be) and found Becker's Donuts and Bakery (for some reason, their website isn't working. weird). I liked Sue Becker who was at the bridal show, I liked the designs of the cakes she had with her, and people who tasted her cakes told me they were good. That was good enough for me! And she was familiar with our venue, which made it easy for everyone.

To save costs, we decided to do a very small, 2 tiered cake, with sheet cakes in the back. All the same, all from Becker's.  We chose a white cake with white buttercream frosting, and a chocolate mousse filling. From my experience as a banquet server, I've seen and have had to cut wedding cakes. You can't imagine what a pain in the butt they are. Seriously. Especially the round wedding cakes! So the sheet cakes could be cut and plated at the caterer's convenience, and ready to be served earlier. Keep that in mind, brides.

I knew I wouldn't have the time or energy to do too much DIY for the wedding. Plus, I didn't want the wedding to look cheap if i homemade a bunch of stuff. But I decided i needed to make my own cake topper. I made a bunch of white and off-white flowers from fabric, hot glued them onto a styrofoam ball that I cut into a half circle, and added pearls and bling to the flowers. I liked it a lot, so I decided to make the toss bouquet to match



No comments:

Post a Comment